Running for school board
Considering serving your community by running for the District 279 School Board? Learn more about what it means to be a school board member by watching the MN School Boards Association's “Running for School Board” webinar. The webinar covers basics such as how to file for the board, reasons to serve on the board — and reasons not to serve on a board, job duties of school boards, and how boards function as a team.
Filing for the 2020 election: July 28-August 11
The filing period for four school board seats up for election this fall in Osseo Area Schools begins July 28 and runs through August 11.
Three seats will be filled by a general election because the members’ terms are expiring; those seats are currently held by Heather Douglass, Jackie Mosqueda-Jones, and Mike Ostaffe. Board members chosen in the general election will take office in January 2021 and serve until January 2025.
One seat will be filled by a special election due to the resignation of board member Jessica Craig, who stepped down on June 18, 2020. The candidate chosen in the special election will take office in November 2020 and serve until January 2023.
Persons interested in serving on the Board must designate whether they are seeking to be a candidate to fill one of the three open seats with the term ending in January 2025 OR they are seeking to be a candidate to fill the one vacated seat with the term ending in January 2023. Interested candidates cannot simultaneously be on the ballot for one of the three open seats and the vacated seat.
A candidate filing packet, including the Affidavit of Candidacy and other relevant information about running for school board, is available in the district office. Please contact Sherri Lincoln, School Board Election Clerk at 763-391-7003 or email@example.com to make arrangements to receive the filing packet (pick up in a no-contact manner at the Educational Service Center, 11200 93rd Ave. N., Maple Grove, or by mail).
A candidate for this office must:
- be an eligible voter,
- be 21 years of age or older upon assuming office,
- have been a resident of the school district from which he or she seeks election for 30 days before the general election, and
- have no other affidavit on file for any other office at the same election.
How to file
When they file, candidates will choose whether to run in the general election or the special election.
Two options are available to file:
- Make an appointment to come to the district office between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. between July 28 and August 11. Call or email Sherri Lincoln at number and email noted above.
- Social distancing guidelines will apply; wearing of face covering/mask is requested.
- Complete the Affidavit of Candidacy or bring completed document to the district office.
- District staff will notarize the form and accept the $2 filing fee.
- Complete, notarize and return the Affidavit of Candidacy form with payment.
- Depending on whether you are seeking to fill one of the three open seats on the board or the vacated seat on the board, download and complete one of the following forms:
- Have a printed copy of the completed affidavit notarized
- Mail the notarized affidavit to Sherri Lincoln, ISD 279, 11200 93rd N., Maple Grove, MN 55369 or place the form in a sealed envelope and bring it to the secure dropbox located outside of Door 1 at the district office. Please write “Election 2020” on the envelope.
- For payment of the $2 filing fee: Online payments can be made here, or cash or check can be placed with completed form in the secure dropbox.
PLEASE NOTE: Affidavits of Candidacy will not be submitted to Hennepin County Elections until completed, notarized forms with confirmation of filing fee have been received. If using the mail option, please be mindful of the deadline for receipt in the district office, which is 5:00 p.m. on August 11, 2020.
An email confirmation will be sent when completed, notarized affidavits and the filing fee are received.
Withdrawing from the ballot
Candidates may withdraw from the ballot by submitting a request to the election clerk by no later than 5 pm on Thursday, August 13, 2020.
Please call Sherri Lincoln, School Board Election Clerk at 763-391-7003, or email firstname.lastname@example.org